Thursday, June 21, 2012

Living On The Wedge

My most recent purchase - And I got them for like 60% off, plus free shipping!
FYI: I'm seriously addicted to the Cordani brand!


I was a high heeled girl from birth. I was that rare combo of tomboy and wanna be vixen from a very early age. 
I took as much pleasure in climbing trees and jumping mini creek as I did spending endless hours playing dress-up with my mom’s clothes and high heels. 
I have a very vivid memory of me at 4 years, old lying on the floor of my parents walk-in closet and gazing at my mom’s shoe rack that housed about 20 pairs of high heels, platforms and sparkly shoes and it captivated me for hours. It was like seeing OZ & The Emerald City for the first time - As in the merry old land of OZ, not the Prison show OZ that aired on HBO from 1997 until 2003, but I digress. 

Anyway, I’d prance around in high heels and pretend I was a princess battling pirates or that I was a princess pirate for that matter. Other times I was the Queen of somewhere or another or I was accepting my Oscar or pretending to walk down the isle with Shawn Cassidy or Steve Martin. Yes, as a child I had a crush on Steve Martin - Still do for that matter. SO WHAT. 
And as I grew up, the duality of the tomboy/glam girl continued. I wore lipstick as I hiked 10 miles and I loved me the cut of a nice A-line skirt with a pair of snappy heels.  


I loved my fuchsia colored spiked four inch Calvin Kline heels just as much as I loved my black with purple striped soccer cleats that I wore every Saturday while playing touch football in the Philadelphia Sport And Social eague’s fall roster.  
Jeans made me feel just as pretty as dressing up for black-tie events & if I relished wearing pretty shoes in all thier shapes and glorious forms. And I thought my love affair with footwear was never ending.... Or so it seemed. 

Until the whole tearing of the ligament in my toe, metatarsalgia, morton’s neuroma thing and the curse of the Kunik High Arches reared their ugly heads in my right foot. 

Then high heels became a device of torture, both figuratively and literally - And for quite a while I thought it was Sneaker City for the rest of my life. 

Not that I don’t love my sneakers, because I LOVE my nimbus asics gels - they are like manna from the heavens, but they don’t really go with a cute skirt or sundress. 
Until the day I re-discovered both the beauty and the comfort of the wedge/platform heel. 

And then all was right with my world because wedges and platforms weren’t only pretty and functional - They were COMFY - At least most of them were. And I could wear pretty shoes again and A-Line skirts were no longer off limits because of ugly shoes - And the Princess Pirate in me rejoiced!!! 
Now granted, I I can’t wear the 6 inch wedges or platforms because I’m afraid I’ll break my neck. But lets face ladies, those shoes weren’t really made for outside use anyway ;) 
Why am I sharing this with you? Because diabetes are not, women need need shoes that are both pretty and comfy, so why wouldn’t I share my experiences about "living on the wedge" with my friends? 

Hell, I'd like us to live on the wedge!


Speaking of - Have you embraced living on the wedge? 

5 comments:

Cara said...

I love shoes. :)

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

Oh. Em. Gee. Love! BTW are you actually Katy Perry?! ;-)

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

Bean has a love affair with shoes...has since a very early age. She LOVES to play in my mother's closet whenever we visit her. Plus, she's going to be on the short side, so heels will surely be in her future!

Lora said...

You had me at high heel.

Wendy said...

enMy love of shoes is fading as my foot issues grow. I have the dreaded high arches too, as well as plantar fasciitis in both feet and tarsal tunnel in both ankles.