|I'm still here :) |
44 years ago today I was diagnosed with diabetes.
44 years of living with a busted pancreas.
44 years that I've been here, that I wouldn't have been if insulin had never been discovered.
As Diaversary tradition and in no particular order - my diabetes life gratitude list.
- I’m still here
- Rooibos tea - my latest obsession. Actually, I’ve been drinking it since maybe 2005, but the last few years I’ve become OBSESSED with it
- Being an auntie to my nieces and nephews - I love them more than words can express
- My sister Cathy
- My family
- The Diabetes Online Community - Finding my tribe ROCKED MY WORLD & continues to do so, each and every day
- The beach
- The ocean - there’s a reason we are three-quarters saltwater
- I’m a kickass soup-maker with an impressive soup repertoire
- Trump no longer presides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
- Wide shoes that aren’t ugly
- Theater - I can’t wait to go back!
- Beuno Bars - Seriously, GIVE THEM A TRY
- Teal Green and Chartreuse
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Friends who are family. You know who you are and I love you
- Photography. I love taking pictures and people em to like my images. Also love learning about the history of photography and photographers
- Peanut Butter. I LOVE IT
- Kismet. When it happens it’s magic in action
- Being my mother’s daughter. Marjory was the strongest, kindest woman I ever met. Being her daughter is an honor
- I found a hidden twenty in my wallet last week - AWESOME
- Insulin. It keeps me alive. Unfortunately, it’s fucking expensive and people are dying because they can’t fucking afford it and that’s gotta change!
- A bold Lipstick - it’s seriously life-changing, empowering, and energizing
- A really gorgeous and well-made coat. Instagram #coatporn, you’ll see what I’m talking about
- Having a roof over my head
- Diabetes Advocacy
- Indie coffee and tea shops
- Diabetes technology
- Pete Souza
- Dorothea Lange - If you don’t know about her - watch Grab A hunk Of Lightning and prepare to be inspired
- Traveling. I miss it-can't wait to get back to it!
- Having enough oat milk for my morning coffee
- Perfectly seasoned, well-done home-fries
- Reconnecting with old friends
- Making new friends
- Getting lost in nature - on purpose.