Thursday, November 22, 2007

Time to Give Thanks

This being Thanksgiving and all, I guess I have to list what I'm thankful for.
So hear it goes - forgive me if you've heard it before.

  1. I'm thankful that my insulin pump will allow me to enjoy both the stuffing and mash potatoes on this holiday - Gotta love that duel wave bolus!
  2. I'm thankful that my insulin pump allowed me to save up for the big meal today, as in yogurt for breakfast, a yogurt & apple for lunch, and a dinner that was nothing near sensible, but was pretty damn delicious. dare I say, "Tryptophan-tastic!"
  3. I'm thankful that the medical community has finally and officially recognized that chocolate is good for you. I've been saying it for years, but I didn't go to medical school so what do I know? Apparently, more than most people thought.
  4. I'm thankful that technology has come so far in such a short time. Not only do those of us with insulin pumps now have electronic pancreases, but blood sugar machines are now the size and shape of a Sharpie and only take 5 seconds to let us know what our blood sugar is. Of course, we still have to deal with the fact that no matter how hard we try, our test strips still seem to turn up in the most obscure places.
  5. I give thanks everyday to the Dr's Banting and Best, the Canadian Docs who discovered the whole insulin/diabetes connection & figured out how to extract insulin from cows and piggies in 1921. Before that, diabetes was a death sentence. AMEN

No comments: