Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Diabetes Art Day "Dum Spiro, Spero"

It's Diabetes Art Day, and yours truly was fearing it. Words and performing have always been my mediums, and the thought of a canvas was intimidating - Did I mention the fact that I can't draw to save my life?

But I followed LeeAnn's advice and worked with what I had, and I kept telling myself that there was no "right" way to do this.

So I cracked open my used diabetes supply container and thought about my life with diabetes. Except life with diabetes (at least for for me) isn't just about my life, it's a family affair. So I thought about my family, and then the part of me that loves tiara's and sparkles thought about what the Kunik Family crest might look like with a diabetes twist.



The Kunik Family Crest - All tricked out Diabetes Style~


After I took the pic, I immediately thought of my other diabetes family,the D-O-C, which is compromised of all types of PWDs and their families. And you know what? I LOVE my Diabetes community and consider them (you) family - and I didn't want to leave a single person out. So I played around with the "crop" feature on my camera and here's what I came up with!



Words to live by!

FYI: "Dum Spiro, Spero - While I breathe, I hope," is the Dillon Family Motto (I'm a Dillon because my father's mother was a Dillon) and it really reminded me of living life with diabetes.

As long as I breathe, I will continue to hope and strive for a wonderful life - and a cure.

Thanks LeeAnn, for inspiring me to embrace my inner Amedeo Modigliani!

I can't wait to do it again!

18 comments:

SarahK said...

Awesome, K2! I love them both!!!

Karen said...

Well, fear must work as a great motivator for you, because what you came up with is absolutely brilliant!!!! I love your family crest. Rock on, girl!!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Fabulous! I think my family might just have to adopt that motto! :)

Jen said...

"While I breathe, I hope".

Words to LIVE by!

I LOVE IT!!!

Katie from SF said...

LOVE it! :)

Anonymous said...

That is impressive - love the crest! Nicely done, k2. Thank you for sharing that work of art!

Mike Durbin said...

Very nice, Kelly! Definitely words to live by.

The poor diabetic said...

Simply Amazing

Unknown said...

Wow. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

There are so many gorgeous pieces today...so many opportunities to see inside the minds of the DOC.

It's kind of emotional for me.

Thank you for being part of my family :)

Unknown said...

"while I breathe, I hope"

That says so much doesn't it?

Scott S said...

I think we should use the Kunik Family crest you've created could actually be the extended D-OC family crest. Very creative!

Penny said...

Beautiful Kel, just like you.
Maybe make that the official Diabetesaliciousness blog button???!!!

Hallie Addington said...

I LOVE the family crest idea! Makes me want to go create our own! We had a really good time making our art and it looks like everyone else did too! THanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful motto! :)

Crystal said...

FANfreakintastic, k2!!!!
Love it. Love love love!!

Wonderful, beautiful motto, for sure.

Lee Ann Thill said...

A family crest for you is a brilliant idea! I enjoyed reading about your thought process for deciding on doing that - and anything that comes from an affection for tiaras and sparkles is going to be ripe with fabulousness! And there's definitely something very poignant about how you are an integral part of two D families, which is why I love that you created a family crest. It's beautiful, filled with so much meaning, and I know I'm honored to be part of the DOC family with you.

Thanks for for all you did to spread the word about Diabetes Art Day, and thank you for branching out beyond your more comfortable means of creative expression, and diving into art-making! Very inspiring, k2 :)

Cherise said...

K2---

I love your artwork!!!! IT's amazing just like you:)

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

Wonderful! I love the theme. And I love that you are a part of our D family. :)