I immediately washed my hands and tested again and the number 268 flashed across the screen. It was at that very moment I began cursing both diabetes and the blood sugar meter margin for error FDA rules. Really FDA, REALLY!!!!!!
Turns out my infusion set had crapped out, and a red, hard lump surrounded my cannula.
I changed it out for a fresh one, added 301 +268, which = 569. Then I divided 569 by 2, for a blood sugar of 284.5, rounded up and did a correction bolus for 285 and hoped for the best.
Of course I'd just bought a 1/2 a Regular (a.k.a, Italian) sub on my way home from the hospital and was dying to eat it. It'd been a long day both work and hospital wise and I was hungry!
The minutes ticked by as I watched the clock, did laundry and raged bolused ever so slightly. Finally, 220 flashed across my meter at 9:12 pm - I bolus 25 carbs for 1/3 a sub and downed it.
The rest of the evening went rather smoothly, until I headed for bed around midnight.
I was all ready to turn out the lights and finally get some much needed sleep, when I realized I hadn't tested.
So I grabbed my bedside meter, pricked my finger and waited the mandatory 5 seconds to find out my blood sugar fate.
The number 83 blinked back at me and in my head I could actually hear my blood sugar LOLing at my expense.
I was far from happy and I just wanted to sleep. I decided to go for a temporary basal rate of .20 for 3 hours and jumped back under the covers. But as tired as I felt, I knew that the temporary basal rate probably wasn't my best bet.
So I got up, went to the fridge and grabbed 5 ounces of juice and a cheese stick, consumed said juice and cheesestick, suspended my temporary basal rate and headed back to bed.
Before I shut the light off I made sure a tube of glucose tabs were on my stand and I went to sleep.
Cut to this morning when I woke up with a blood sugar of 79.
And so far, so good.
It's always something in life.... diabetes or otherwise ;)