Monday, June 17, 2013

Diabetes Interrogation tactics Will Not Be Tolerated - And Will Lead To You Being Asked Some Very Personal Questions

This post was inspired by many things, including being denied a cupcake recently..... just because I had type 1 diabetes.
######
How much do you weigh.....  Come on seriously, how much do you weigh? Really? You look MUCH HEAVIER.  Interesting. 


When's the last time you had sex & what's your favorite position?  Also, why are you looking at me like I have 3 heads for asking that question?? And for the record, I don't care if we've just met - TELL ME.
  

I think all of us can agree that the above questions are pretty damn personal (not to mention inappropriate,) and  none (OK, most) of us would never consider asking them to an acquaintance or coworker, let alone a complete stranger. 
And many of us wouldn't even ask our close friends those questions, because quite frankly: 
1. It's none of our business
2. It's none of our business.

So why is it OK for people, other than our HealthCare Professionals (and even then I prefer it to be my diabetes HCP, who understand the #everynumberhasastory, concept) to ask us what our a1c is & why? 

Who said it was OK for the person sitting across from us either in real life or on the net to ask: What's your blood sugar? WHY SO HIGH AND WHAT THE HELL DID YOU EAT!!  WHY SO LOW.... WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO?!!

How come people (and sometimes people we've just met,) have absolutely no problem telling people with diabetes what they can and cannot eat/do in a room full of people or one-on-one and regardless of the diabetes type? 
And since when is it OK to say: But you take care of yourself..... right??? You don't have any diabetes complications.... right? Only people who don't do what they're supposed to get diabetes complications.
NEWS FLASH: it's not OK to ask a PWD (person with diabetes) about D complications and assume/ blame the PWD. 
It's not OK. It's not OK to assume or judge or tell me I can't have a cupcake because of my busted pancreas,
Just like It's not OK judge a person on their current and or past blood sugar.

It's bullshit in all dimensions is what it is. 

Some things are private in life, and some things are private in life with diabetes. 
If and when people with diabetes choose to share, it should be the person(s) with diabetes choice. 
And when people with diabetes in the Diabetes Online Community (and offline) share, we share for many reasons. 
We share to get support. We share to give support. We share because we are proud. We share because we are struggling.  We share to educate and we share to be educated. We share to show others that they are not alone in their life.... or their life with diabetes.
Bottom Line: D Interrogation tactics are not appreciated, nor will they be tolerated -And will lead to you being some very personal questions~ 
However, asking the person with diabetes how they are doing because you really care, or asking how you can learn more about living with diabetes in all it's shapes and forms is greatly appreciated - And will let to some very interesting, honest and from the heart discussions. #fact 

8 comments:

Cara said...

Amen! And even when someone shares info with you, don't judge. What's good for one may be GREAT for another. What's bad for one may be good for another. We're all different. (((hugs))) and thanks for writing this!

Unknown said...

Rock on!

Rhonda B said...

Amen, sister! I love it when someone at a party (who has maybe noticed my pump or CGM, or is a passing acquaintance who may know I have diabetes) says, "should you be drinking?" and I promptly reply, "should YOU?"

Scully said...

I always try and just sluff stuff like that off but sometimes it makes me irate.
MOST of the time.... it's from people who really have no idea about diabetes, types or treatment.

I really appreciate you putting this out there though and saying things some of us think :)

Anonymous said...

First thought to this post - Man, someone cheesed you off but good.
Second thought to this post - I hope you said at least some of that to whoever cheesed you off.
I love your blog and even though we are on different levels of D, I still feel like you get me.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. Just dont understand when you have diabetes, people just think that gives them a free ticket
to comment on your lifestyle/eating. Why is that?

Unknown said...

You said it!! I agree completely!

Bec said...

Couldn't have said it better! The amount of times I've been hassled to explain to people why my blood sugar is high is ridiculous
Sometimes, it just happens!