Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Cold Spring, Spicy Salad ~

Spring is here, at least in theory and I'm just back from 4 days in Florida (more on that in another post,) where it was sunny and warm and it felt more like summer. 
I returned home to temps in the high forties, north easterly whipping winds and lots of rain. 
I miss my family and I miss the warm weather, fresh fish, fruits and veggies. 
So last night I made one of my favorite summer time snacks, a spicy cucumber salad to keep me in the warm weather mindset. 
This salad is INCREDIBLY EASY, DELICIOUS & ADDICTING. 
At least for me - and much like the beloved pickles (a.k.a., free food) of my youth, this salad requires no bolus and allows me to achieve/maintain blood sugar nirvana sans the bolus - but of course, your diabetes may vary~
 Here's the recipe! 
Spicy Cucumber Salad~ 
Slice a cucumber in half and scoop out the seeds in each half with teaspoon
Slice the scooped cucumber halves and place in salad bowl. 
In a mixing bowl, mix Sriracha Rooster Sauce ( LOVE IT) with sesame oil & mirin - other wise known as rice wine vinegar. 
Add fresh squeezed lime juice (a wedge or two will do, depending on the size of the salad,); sea salt, cracked pepper and ginger powder to taste. 
Whisk all the ingredients together and pour over cucumbers. 
Sometimes I sprinkle sesame seeds on top, but most times I don't. 
Eat & enjoy! 
**As far as measurements - that's up to you and your taste buds - there's no right or wrong amount of spicy deliciousness in this recipe.
*** This salad will be addicting - YOU"VE BEEN WARNED. 

2 comments:

StephenS said...

Thanks for the recipe... I will be trying this out very, very soon.

Janis Nussbaum Senungetuk said...

Ooo...sounds good! Thanks for the spicy sunshine recipe. I'll try it soon.