Monday, April 20, 2015

#IWishPeopleKnewThatDiabetes Day - 4/22/15

Logo by the amazing Mr. Mike Lawson~
I’m happy to say that a lot of discussions were generated on twitter and facebook after Friday’s blog post, #IwishpeopleknewThatDiabetes was published. 
FTR: Friday's post was inspired by Denver Colorado 3rd grade teacher, Kyle Schwartz and her amazing #Iwishmyteacherknew teaching plan which started a viral twitter conversation after she shared her students notes
All weekend I was thrilled and incredibly inspired to see people using the #Iwishpeopleknewthatdiabetes, hashtag to express their diabetes thoughts and feelings - And I witnessed people strengthening their own diabetes voices in process -and that was amazing! 
I started thinking about having a day where people could use the hashtag in unison to express the good, (like how people with diabetes are flipping awesome,) the bad,(insurance crap, blood sugar issues, you name it,) and the diabetesalicious of it all ( as in, yes indeed you cab eat that cupcake!), when it comes to what we wish people knew about diabetes. 

So I’m proposing Wednesday April 22nd, 2015 as '#IwishpeopleknewThatDiabetes Day.' 
A day where the DOC shares their thoughts, wisdom, hearts and humor, by using  the #IwishpeopleknewThatDiabetes hashtag on the twitter, facebook, instagram, blog posts, tumblr, vine, etc.
Also, the #IwishpeopleknewThatDiabetes hashtag will be featured on this week’s #DSMA chat, which also happens to be on the 22nd at 9pm, EST.

I’m so excited, guys and I hope you are too! 

Let me know what your thoughts and I look forward to your participation in the #IwishpeopleknewthatDiabetes Day discussions. 

It's not about the numbers, it's about people feeling confident enough to use their voices and express what they feel/how their feeling when it comes to diabetes

5 comments:

Susan said...

I think it's a great idea!! I can't wait to read everyone's ideas. Unfortunately it's bad timing for me as I'll be closeted in a work conference all day and half the evening but I'll take part as I can.

I hope it goes well!!

MelMur said...

Great idea.. just too bad April 22 is Earth Day, and I too am at a conference all day. It's a busy day! (also my Birthday so i'd really like to have a "#IWishPeopleKnewThatDiabetes NEVER takes a break, not even for you Birthday #24/7" tweet. Anyways, as Susan said, fabulous idea!

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea!

Naomi Kingery Ruperto said...

I'll be blogging about it and following the hashtag on Twitter, thanks for leading this Kelly! <3

Unknown said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! For a funny, honest, wonderful and oh-so-spot-on portrayal of Life on Diabetes. Great idea. Great blog. Did I say Thank you? I meant to say THANK YOU!!!