|NOT THESE BLIZZARDS.|
But thanks to Eat This, Not That, for the photo/nutritional breakdown of
#Blizzard 2017 is on the way, which for many on the east coast is also a Nor'easter/blizzard combined. This dynamic duo makes for bitching waves; tidal flooding (YUCK,) and crazy winds and snow - all of which are supposed to arriving tomorrow.
So here’s my Blizzard/N’oreaster Check list - and please feel free to add in the comments section if I've missed anything!
Please make sure you have EXTRA of all of the following:
- Insulin, diabetes supplies, and meds
- Batteries for your insulin pump, flashlights, and electric candles
- Candles, including electric (CVS sells them,) candles, and flashlights
- Bottled water
- Juice boxes for lows - make sure to keep a few by your bed (next to a flashlight and a bottle of glucose tabs,) incase the power goes out. The last thing you want to do during a middle of the night low is fumble around without electricity in search of juice boxes.
- Warm, clean socks
- Toilet paper
- birth control because storms = baby booms
- The forecast calls for wine, purchase accordingly
- Chocolate - red wine reasoning applies to any and all forms of chocolate/comfort foods
- Bread, eggs, and milk because when there’s a snow storm, french toast mania happens
- Copious amounts of cheese and peanut butter - no explanations needed
- If you’re worried about the power going out and have an electric stove, (gas usually still allows for stove top cooking, even if the power goes out,) make you have lots of granola bars, PB&J supplies, fruit and other non perishable items on hand
- If the power does go out, make sure to have cooler that you can put snow in to keep refrigerated food in
- Any unopened, refrigerated insulin can be kept in a lunch bag cooler with freezer packs and or placed in Frio packs.
The following are also INCREDIBLY important:
- A diabetes to-go bag filled with 10 days worth of diabetes supplies/medications, packed and ready to go, just in case
- Leave faucets dripping to prevent pipes from freezing
- A fully charged Power Stick to recharge your phone and iPad if the power goes out
- Space heaters and generators
- Again, the forecast calls for wine, purchase accordingly
- A great book to honker down with and warm fuzzy PJs.