Friday, December 21, 2007

The Blood Sugar Bulls Eye Or......... How I Achieved Blood Sugar Nirvana

Tonight I hit the blood sugar bullseye and achieved Blood Sugar Nirvana.

Let's face it, the little victories in life can really make you smile.

I love thin crust pizza from a Place Called SLICE in South Philly. I eat healthy dinners 7 nights a week, but about twice a month, and usually on a Sunday, I indulge and call SLICE.
They deliver a little piece of heaven in the form of a small pie, straight to my door.

Tonight my fridge was empty, I was tired after running around all day, and I gave them a call.

SLICE'S Florentine pie is tasty, loaded with garlic and smothered with extra spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, and tomatoes. The crust is crispy thin, crunchy and delicious. Perfect for dipping in extra virgin olive oil and hot peppers flakes. I could be very specific and describe all my favorite pies from SLICE in Epicurean like detail, but let's just stick to the pizza at hand.

Anyway, I took my blood sugar - 107 thank-you very much, and guesstimated my carb intake to be 45 . I plugged the info into my pump & the Bolus Wizard told me I need 3.5 units to cover my 2 slices. I bolused away and grabbed a plate.

Two hours later, I took my blood sugar and it was 160. PERFECTO!!!! I did it!

I'D HIT THE BLOOD SUGAR BULLS EYE AND MADE IT MY BITCH!

OK....Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but I had achieved Blood Sugar Nirvana. I bolused, enjoyed an unusually high carb meal, and 2 hours later my BS was well on its way to normal.

I placed the leftover pizza in saran wrap and tin foil, put it in a Tupperware container and placed it in the freezer. Tomorrow, I 'd go back to eating healthy....But tonight I was basking in the light of 2 perfect slices and Blood Sugar Nirvana.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pizza is one of my favorite foods. and it can be a very difficult thing to bolus for. no slice is the same as the next slice. i'm glad you achieved nirvana!

Jane said...

Pizza hasn't been the same since I discovered Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza, a local delicacy. Thin crust pizza base brushed with garlic infused olive oil and piled high with chicken Caesar salad. Awesome, amazing $2.50 for an enormous slice and perfect BG for the rest of the evening, every time.