Monday, March 30, 2009

I Can't Drive 65

So Friday was JUST ONE OF THOSE BLOOD SUGAR DAYS.

IT started with a 3 a.m low. One of those cold sweat, lip numbing, stomach dropping, wake you up out of bed lows. My blood sugar was 36 and I was shaking like a leaf in the wind.
I drank two (maybe three?) 5 ounce glasses of cranberry juice and tried to wait patiently for my numbers to go up, and finally at 3:50 I was able to go back to bed.

Cut to 7:15, when I wake with a blood sugar of 246-LOVELY.

I bloused accordingly, poured my coffee & jumped in the shower.

I felt tired and overwhelmed-It was a travel day for work and high numbers and road trips just don’t mix!


AND NEITHER DOES DRIVING AND LOW BLOOD SUGARS.

@ 8:30 I was 166 and bloused for 15 grams of carbs to cover my Ezekiel Bread toast and cream cheese, enjoyed it immensely and went about my work.

Now here’s where things get kind of screwy - I’ll let my Twitter tweets tell the story.

Diabetesalic: prepping for the road & which I didn't have 2. SO tired on so many levels. Need wind in my sails& a song in my heart - any suggestions? 9:34 AM Mar 27th from web

Diabetesalic: meant wish I didn't have to - this is what happens when your tired type & have are treating a blood sugar of 51 9:35 AM Mar 27th from web

Diabetesalic: "have are treating???" OK -Typing while low ='s MORETIC a.ka. Moron Diabetic Move 9:36 AM Mar 27th from web

Diabetesalic: Seriously Diabetes, I need u 2 listen to me& maintain good numbers 2 day. No lows or highs on the road 2day-not a good day for it -Agreed?! 10:25 AM Mar 27th from web

Diabetesalic: SERIOUSLY DIABETES –What’s w/the 65 blood sugr??? u were like 51 an hr ago - Can't drive at 65 no matter what the damn signs say. 11:19 AM Mar 27th from web

I needed to leave at Noon for my appts and had literally been treating the lows all morning,

Left the house at Noon with a number of 100. I lowered my basal rate to 0.75 and ate 2 Reese’s Peanut Butter cups in the car.

1:15 Arrived at my first appointment and my number was 123.

2:30 MY next appointment was at 2:45 and I arrived 15 minutes early. My blood sugar was 101. Had a juice box and a Coconut Larabar (SO GOOD btw) and was good for another 2 hours, which was good because I would be there for at least 2 hrs. I also created a temp basal rate of 0.50 for those 2 hrs…just in case.

5:30 Appointment ran over because I seriously think God likes toying with me sometimes. Checked my sugar (AGAIN) before I jumped in the car and it was 106, could feel myself heading south. Ate a Fuji apple & 5 (maybe 8?) chocolate Reese's mini eggs I’d snagged from my friends son's birthday party and was 136 when I arrived home @ 7pm.


IT was a CRAZY numbers day, BUT I got through it – So yeah know….I got that going for me!

PS My numbers were normal from the moment I stepped in the door Friday night and continued all weekend. Go figure?

7 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Whew! I'm exhausted reading about it K2! Glad that you were able to fend off any real nasties while you were working. That doesn't make it suck any less though.

JaimieH said...

great blog! a day in the life eh? I feel ya...

I luvva larabars...numnum Thanks for the reminder...have not bought them in awhile ...

k2 said...

Scottie J-
Yes-it was exhausting, but I kept the lows at bay and went on with my day.
I was SO tired when I walked in the door, but happy and thankful I didn't let the lows ruin my Friday!

Jamie H
YAY and welcome to Diabetesaliciousness!
LARABARS are amazing, and the Coconut ones are literally sprinkled with fairy dust and love!
k2

Karen said...

Wow, that is a crazy day? What, did your pancreas decide to start working again for a few hours - LOL. So frustrating, isn't it?

Cara said...

Ugg. I hate days like this. It must be in the air. :(

Gail said...

yuck! I hate days like that too. What are Larabars and do they sell them in Canada? Sprinkled with fairy dust and love? They sound awesome!!

k2 said...

Gail -
Yes those days can drive you nuts!
Speaking of nuts, LARABAR.com
They are the awesome to thre 10th degree! Fairy Dust, love, & a whole lot of yum. Might I suggest Cinnamon Roll, Banana Cookie,& Coconut Cookie flavors. TOTALLY DIABETESALICIOUS!
k2