Wednesday, November 9, 2011

D Blog Day = A "Crafty" Diabetes Community & Diabetesaliciousness Turns 4!








Today marks two major events:


1 It’s the 7th annual D Blog Day, and this year theme is all about creating a Diabetes Scrap Book Page (which I’m still working on, but am no where near done. Gina Capone plans to gather all the scrapbook pages together and display the D Blog Day completed scrapbook at the 2012 Children With Diabetes Friends For Life Conference in Orlando, Florida.


And for those of you who might be "crafty," but not in the scrapbook sense of the word, you can still participate with this years Blog Topic, which is: Why you feel the Diabetes On-Line community is important. Which leads me to the other major event.


2. Today is also my 4th Blogaversary! I know, I can’t believe it!


Four years ago on November 9th, 2007, Halle Barry pissed me off royally and forced me to start my blog. I’d heard about this thing called “A Blog,” and or personal journal, but I didn’t really think I had anything to say. I had no idea that such a thing as The Diabetes On-Line Community existed, let alone was filled with so many amazing and wonderful people.

I blogged because I needed a place to express my feelings about living a diabetes life; my frustration with Diabetes Media Muck-ups & and all types of things that I didn’t even realize until recently.

At first, I didn’t think anyone read my blog, (except for friends and family,) but I kept blogging and soon I found out that the DOC existed.


Then, on December 19th, 2007 I received my first non-friend/family comment from Bernard and I was ecstatic!


Soon, I was having conversations via email and comments from an amazing group of folks, that understood Diabetes World, because they lived in it to.


My diabetes voice (which had never been a quiet one offline) was now becoming a loud one on-line.

I made mistakes, I've grown up up and gotten wiser, and I keep blogging.


My blog policy from the beginning was simple. Keep it real, always keep it honest, and never try to be anyone I’m not.

To paraphrase Eleanor Roosevelt, I’d rather be a first rate version of Kelly Kunik than a second rate version of anyone else.


The first member of the DOC I met in real life was Hannah From Dorkabetic in March of 2008 and my worlds collided in a fantastical way!


Soon, I was meeting others and I have to say, it was pretty amazing meeting my DOC family in the flesh!


Over the years, I’ve grown to rely on the DOC for so many things.

Things like; understanding, knowledge, laughter, comfort and pretty much everything else in between.


Like most in the Diabetes On-Line Community, I share the good, the bad, and the diabetesaliciousness of it all. Including all the good in my life, and those life events that have rocked my world and tested my strength. Those events, for the most part and ironically, haven’t been diabetes related.

But without the Diabetes On-Line Community, I don’t know if I would have made it.

I mean physically, yes I wasn’t going anywhere - Like Beyonce, I’m a survivor. But emotionally, knowing that my amazing community was there for me during some of life’s MAJOR curveballs, made it so much easier to catch and deal with those curveballs.


Blogging about Diabetes and being a citizen of The Diabetes On-line Community has changed my life for the better and given me my passion; my community, my voice, a better understanding of my diabetes and other types of diabetes that exist, a career, and most important.... it’s given me dear friends “for life.” .

Many of these friends for life I have yet to meet fact to face, but love and feel incredibly protective of them none the less.


So if I haven’t said it lately, I love you all & I’m incredibly grateful to be part of your world!!


Below is my attempt at an On-Line scrap book page - It's not fancy and it's far from complete, but I consider it a work in progress and a precious keepsake none the less!





The Blue Circle = Diabetes Awareness

Last Halloween/Diaversary, DOC style

Canadian DOC Contingency
At Gretsky's in Toronto 2011
The story on this pic to follow.
Stay tuned......

Better late than never!
Cara & I meeting for the firt time at Simonpolooza
Simon's right behind us! October 2011

Three D Chicklets
November 2011

The first time I met "Amazing Grace" & her awesome mom, Penny!


My Twin & I @ JDRF Government Day in DC
March 2010

DOC in the JDRF Government Day House
March 2010

"What are you looking at?"
Sprinkles and I - 2010


Diabetes Angels
Roche 2010
Can you tell who's who in this D Blogger line up?
Medtronic Diabetes Advocate Forum 2010

A D Meet IN NYC @ The BREAKTHROUGH Exhibit

A whole bunch of DOCers @ Roche & Friends For Life 2009

The Fabulous Elizabeth Arnold & I meeting for Dinner in Princeton 2009

I like to call this shot, "Bacon Brothers Bookends
Roche 2008

I'd met Hannah & LeeAnn before, but it was my first time meeting the rest of the gang!
2008









Me & Mother Love -She told me I was funny & she made me laugh!
2008

DRI Conference in NYC 2008

5 comments:

Bridget V. said...

Here's to hoping that people continue to piss you off royally for years to come!

Mike Hoskins said...

Well, here's to Halle for bringing K2 in the D-blogging fold! Thanks for posting this, and sharing some great pictures there too!

Babscampbell said...

And likewise, what would the DOC do without YOU?
I'm thrilled to be part of this gallery and to call you friend.
HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY!

Rachel said...

Yay for d-blog day blogiversaries!

(Only four years for you? seriously? ...)

Cara said...

I'm so glad you included the picture of you & me. :) Diabetes isn't good for much, but online friends are my favorite thing. :)