Thursday, January 31, 2013

You Are What You Eat - So Today I Am 2 Cups Of Starbucks Medium Roast...


There was a facebook discussion where I brought up well meaning people who didn’t even know telling me that I just did this, or didn’t eat that, I wouldn’t need insulin. 



And for some reason the term: You are what you eat, has been looping in my mind ever since. So I went with it - And this what I came up with.

#####

They say (and by THEY, I mean a multitude of dudes  and in a multitude of different variations) that you are what you eat.  

Which means today I am 2 cups of Starbucks Medium Roast, a greek blueberry yogurt, a heaping spoonful of peanut butter dripping with honey, followed by a lunch of gluten free garlic crackers and cream cheese, a raw yellow pepper and a tangelo. 
Last night I was a large rainbow colored salad with hardboiled eggs and croutons, lightly doused with Paul Newman Olive Oil dressing. Immediately followed by a tangelo and two Trader Joe’s Old Fashioned oatmeal cookies with vanilla Silk soy milk lightly sprinkled with cinnamon. 
SIDEBAR: The cinnamon was not sprinkled in the vanilla Silk soy to lower my blood sugar. It was sprinkled in my vanilla Silk soy because it’s damn tasty!

And earlier yesterday I was two Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Hearts - 36 grams of deliciousness and worth every drop of insulin I used to cover them! 

Speaking of insulin, no matter what I am or what eat for that matter, I am ALWAYS going to need to bolus insulin to cover my meals and take correction boluses to correct my blood sugars  for the rest of my life - That is my reality, not my choice. 

 And if you’re reading this,  there’s a good chance it’s your reality (or someone you love’s reality,) too.

Why am I writing this? Because sometimes I (we) have to remind people that no matter what we eat as people with type1 diabetes or how many miles we run, walk, or ride or bikes,  -we will always need insulin in order to live.

And while the amounts of said insulin may change depending on the blood sugar; the meal, the amount of exercise before said meal, whether or not we are fighting off an infection, going through a growth spirit, or dealing with hormones - Ladies I’m talking about  PMSing,  have our periods, etc.  The fact that people with type 1 (and some with type 1.5 and type 2) are going to need insulin. 

Insulin not a demon, on the contrary, insulin = life and we shouldn’t ever have to make excuses for taking it - or feel guilty because we need more or less insulin at certain times

 But sometimes we do feel guilty, so THANK YOU SOCIETY.

Insulin is what allows us to walk around and live - So  those in society who think differently can SUCK IT. 

2 comments:

Stupid Girl and the Train Wreck said...

So many well meaning people out there. The ones that scare me are the ones in positions of power trying to use for there ignorance on us and doing all sorts of harm.

Mike Hoskins said...

Insulin is not a demon... well, I'm not sure I've heard that one before. We don't have the ability to exorcise it, do we? Sometimes it feels like a demon with a spinning head... OK, I'm done. All I know is that if it's the 2 cups of coffee, I'm ALL OVER THAT. Which brings me to a question: Do you put anything in your coffee and need to dose for it? I typically don't have to dose, so in the case of D I'm thankful that it doesn't exactly count... or I'd be a huge walking coffee pot. :)