Wednesday, June 12, 2013

How Do You Ride Out Diabetes BitchFits Without Completely Flipping Your Diabetes Bitchswitch?


I worked out yesterday morning before work and had the numbers to prove it...... Until I changed my infusion site and put in in late afternoon when my numbers got higher than I liked. But my numbers were still craptastic, hovering in the 220s. And even after taking another 2 mile walk after work, I was still was... You guessed it, 220. 
Cut to this morning when I woke up at 225 and changed my infusion site yet again, followed by a fresh reservoir -  I was down to 8 units after all.  
And even after all of the above, my numbers remain wonky - Even after a 2 mile walk at lunch, I was 190 - though I felt lower. 
So has my insulin gone skunky? And if it has, that would totally suck because I just cracked opened a new bottle last week - And that has me worried about the other bottles of pancreas juice n my fridge. 
Maybe it’s me. Maybe it’s the remnants of pharengitis, but if that was the case, I’d have crap numbers for days instead of just 24 hrs. 

Or maybe diabetes is acting like a first class bitch because it can. 

I can’t get upset, because that will lead to more crappy numbers - And diabetes would have the upper hand - EFF THAT.
No, I have ride out the diabetes bitchiness and go with the diabetes flow, which isn’t always easy, but is required none the less. 
Maybe I’ll  increase my insulin pump’s temporary basal rate by a few tenths of a unit after my 3 pm blood sugar check - And then again, maybe I won’t. 
So my question to you is: How do you ride out diabetes bitch fits without completely flipping your diabetes bitch switch? 
Sidebar: SAY THAT THREE TIMES FAST.

And for the record - I’m a huge fan of my Diabetes Bitchswitch - yours, too.
But with that being said, I don't want inflict my Diabetes Bitchswitch wrath on myself!  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I just went through this over the weekend. Fortunately a reservoir change fixed it. I suggest you sling expletives at it. Loudly. In public.

Rhonda B said...

Infusion site changes kick my butt everytime. Doesn't matter where I put them, if insulin is new or old, etc. Depending on when I do the site change, I could hang out in the 200s for hours, no matter how much water I drink, how much insulin I take, how much exercise I do. Which means, I try to limit site changes to once a week - basically every 6 days. I just leave the port in, but change out everything else. Keeps me from flipping the bitchswitch TOO many times :)

Dawne said...

I usually blame it on PMS and put on a temp basal. Someone told me that if blood sugar is too high or high for too long exercise makes the body more insulin resistant. Is that true?

StephenS said...

Kelly, I understand your frustration. I had the same thing happen last week after a site change, and had crazy numbers over the weekend. Then I changed sites on Monday, and my BGs have been super ever since.

I really try hard to remember that they're just numbers, even though sometimes it's easy to attach your self-worth to them. I fight that feeling with everything I have. Then I wait.

PancreasticMom said...

Temp basal's usually my next step when I can't figure out what's going on. Worth a shot.