Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Take 5, Pick Your Battles & Cut Yourself Some Slack ~

The other night just as I was about to start my car, something made me check inside my handbag to make sure I'd brought my phone with me. 
And I did. 
But when I was looking for my phone, I realized I didn’t have a spare infusion set in my bag. I ALWAYS keep an extra infusion set in both my handbag and my car. ALWAYS.
But I’d used the one in my car the week before when I needed to do a site change kept forgetting to replace it. And for some weird reason, the one I thought I’d put in my handbag was nowhere to be found. 
I was already 15 minutes late to meet my friends for dinner and was slightly hungry, 
but I didn’t have a choice, because I don't feel comfortable not having a spare infusion set with me.
Also: I don't always carry backup insulin and a syringe with me - Especially when I'm going to a restaurant that's 10 minutes away, so I needed the extra set. 
I grabbed my bag, got out of the car and went back into the house and swiped two spare infusion sets from my D-stash and threw them in my handbag. 
When I got back to my car, I placed one of the sets in the side pocket of the driver side seat. 

All of the above only took me 5 minutes. 

5 minutes is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

And You know what? I know that. 
I know that 5 minutes is NOTHING when it comes to little things like grabbing backup D supplies if you need it - But I was really made at myself for not prepared.

I also know that 5 minutes is EVERYTHING when it comes to the big stuff, like waiting for your blood sugar to crawl back up from a 45 low.
And 5 minutes is a fucking eternity when you're waiting for the Doctor to walk down the hall and into the ICU to tell you what he saw or didn't see on your mom's brain scan.

So I needed to get over it.  
And that's exactly what I did. I started my car, put on some tunes and headed towards the restaurant - I even found Jackpot parking. 
And I had great time with wonderful friends and we laughed until we cried. 

And for the record: my infusion site that I'd been wearing the since the day before worked perfectly~

No comments: