Tuesday, March 24, 2015

This Trip, A Philly TSA Agent Made Traveling With Diabetes Way LESS Stressful!

Traveling with diabetes can be a challenge, incredibly frustrating and down right maddening. And when crap happens, I write about it
So when good stuff happens when it comes to traveling and diabetes, I write about that stuff, too. 
######
So last week I had like the nicest experience, EVER with TSA at Philadelphia International Airport and en route to the Diabetes UnConference in Vegas ( post on that amazing experience to follow,) and I wanted to share it.  
As I waited in the security line with a large bottle of water in hand and my electronic pancreas clipped to my hip, I looked around and asked the closest TSA Agent near me for a visual inspection for my insulin pump. 
The Agent, a 20 something African American woman with a reassuring smile and a kind voice told me "no problem" re: a visual inspection of my pump & told me that my water bottle qualified for a visual inspection, too.
She also looked me straight in the eye, placed her hand on my shoulder and said: NEVER take 'no' for an answer re: a visual inspection for your insulin pump or your water! 
It’s your right to have both visually inspected, don’t ever let anyone ever tell you different - don’t  ever let them tell you no! 
She was incredibly kind, understanding, knowledgeable and professional and I really appreciated that she had my back. 
I wanted to give her a huge because she made me feel like a had a diabetes ally on my side, because I did and she most certainly was.
Nine times out of ten when it comes to TSA and a visual inspection, I end up having to fight for one. I’m told I don’t need it and that It’s a lot of unnecessary work  - but I still fight for it until I get one.
 And it was SUCH a different experience than THIS HORRIBLE  moment at Philadelphia International, or THIS MEETING OF THE MINDS at the airport in San Diego. The fact that I didn’t have to fight, explain the reasons why and could breathe a sigh of relief made the whole airport/flying with diabetes and dealing with TSA, more pleasant. 
Look, I’ll be the first to write about traveling with diabetes and TSA snafus, but I also want to point out the spot-on and outstanding experiences with TSA Agents who make it a point to walk the walk, know the intricacies of their job & do an outstanding job. 

YOU ROCK and great job, AWESOME TSA AGENT - And much love and appreciation & a big THANK-YOU from the bottom of my busted pancreas! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice! You should call the manager of security at the airport and compliment the agent for caring service, or post a comment to TSA customer service on their website.

StephenS said...

Kelly, I just love how you write-- have I mentioned that before? Glad you had a great TSA experience this time. And kudos for sharing the good and bad right here in this space.