Tuesday, March 24, 2015

This Trip, A Philly TSA Agent Made Traveling With Diabetes Way LESS Stressful!

Traveling with diabetes can be a challenge, incredibly frustrating and down right maddening. And when crap happens, I write about it
So when good stuff happens when it comes to traveling and diabetes, I write about that stuff, too. 
So last week I had like the nicest experience, EVER with TSA at Philadelphia International Airport and en route to the Diabetes UnConference in Vegas ( post on that amazing experience to follow,) and I wanted to share it.  
As I waited in the security line with a large bottle of water in hand and my electronic pancreas clipped to my hip, I looked around and asked the closest TSA Agent near me for a visual inspection for my insulin pump. 
The Agent, a 20 something African American woman with a reassuring smile and a kind voice told me "no problem" re: a visual inspection of my pump & told me that my water bottle qualified for a visual inspection, too.
She also looked me straight in the eye, placed her hand on my shoulder and said: NEVER take 'no' for an answer re: a visual inspection for your insulin pump or your water! 
It’s your right to have both visually inspected, don’t ever let anyone ever tell you different - don’t  ever let them tell you no! 
She was incredibly kind, understanding, knowledgeable and professional and I really appreciated that she had my back. 
I wanted to give her a huge because she made me feel like a had a diabetes ally on my side, because I did and she most certainly was.
Nine times out of ten when it comes to TSA and a visual inspection, I end up having to fight for one. I’m told I don’t need it and that It’s a lot of unnecessary work  - but I still fight for it until I get one.
 And it was SUCH a different experience than THIS HORRIBLE  moment at Philadelphia International, or THIS MEETING OF THE MINDS at the airport in San Diego. The fact that I didn’t have to fight, explain the reasons why and could breathe a sigh of relief made the whole airport/flying with diabetes and dealing with TSA, more pleasant. 
Look, I’ll be the first to write about traveling with diabetes and TSA snafus, but I also want to point out the spot-on and outstanding experiences with TSA Agents who make it a point to walk the walk, know the intricacies of their job & do an outstanding job. 

YOU ROCK and great job, AWESOME TSA AGENT - And much love and appreciation & a big THANK-YOU from the bottom of my busted pancreas! 


Mark Gutman said...

Very nice! You should call the manager of security at the airport and compliment the agent for caring service, or post a comment to TSA customer service on their website.

StephenS said...

Kelly, I just love how you write-- have I mentioned that before? Glad you had a great TSA experience this time. And kudos for sharing the good and bad right here in this space.