Tuesday, October 31, 2023

46


Selfie in front of Haunted House - not my house ;) 

Hey, it's me - back from who the hell knows, but blogging just the same. 

I can't tell you how many times I've sat staring at my screen to write an actual post, but this time I really am back. I miss blogging, I miss being a full participant in the DOC, instead of a part-time participant/and a constant lurker. 
So I'm reframing and here I am.

Much has happened - some good stuff, some NOT So good - I'm saving the deets for other posts. 

Today's post is devoted to the number 46 - NO, NOT THAT 46, BITE YOUR TONGUE!

I'm talking 46 years living my life with t1D.

A. HOW THE HELL IS IT YEAR 46? 

B. HOW THE HELL IS MY DIABETES OLDER THAN I AM? EASY, I'M A WITCH ;) 

Celebrating year 46 is different this year - As of yesterday, I've been sidelined thanks to a torn medial band of my Planter Fascia - currently sporting a really ugly ortho shoe (but oh so much more comfortable than a boot,) shiny chrome crutches, and a cortisone shot that hurt like a bitch and requires a skyhigh temp basal rate. 

So yeah, this year's diaversary will be quiter - but a celebration none less. 

Here's my Diabetes Gratitude list for year 46 - Hope you dig~

1. The color yellow. Yellow is bright and shiny and makes me smile. Quite frankly, I could use more bright and shiny in my life - YAY YELLOW.

2. Rooibos tea - If you don't know what it is, check it out and give it a try. I suggest Pumpkin, Chai, and Vanilla flavored rooibos teas.

3. The ocean: We are 3/4's salt water for a reason. No wonder the ocean feels like coming home

4. Dogs. I love dogs! Dogs are the best and I will fight you on it!

5. Nailing a carb bolus for totally bolus worthy grub!

6. Cheese. I am cheese slut. I own it.

7. The color purple. Purple is regal and beautiful and comes in multitude of shades that make me feel good and bring out my eyes ;) 

8. Shells: Shells are beautiful; intricate, sculptures from the sea that turn into sand. Without shells there would be no beach. Think about that next time you see a shell. Never overlook the broken shells - they posed a beauty all their own - gifts from the sea that are no less valuable than their non chipped counterparts. Broken shells prove time and again that broken is indeed beautiful, be it our pancreati or a shell.

9. Red lipstick.

10. Soup: I'm a Souper... dare I say a Super Souper. For real, I make over 20 types of soup from scratch - and counting. Making soup is one of my Love Languages. If I make you soup from scratch, it means I care about you very much and love you lots.

11. Diabetes Tech: I love and appreciate my diabetes tech. With that being said. It's not perfect - nothing works as well as a fully functioning pancreas. There are too many who can't afford said tech - or have insurance that won't cover (or cover enough,) for said diabetes tech. That shit's gotta change.

12 PBS: If you don't watch PBS - maybe you think it's too stuffy, or that it doesn't have shows you'd be interested in - you'd be wrong. 
My current PBS obsession is season 2 of Annika. Membership for PBS Passport is $5 bucks a month and totally worth it! Also, your monthly fee is tax deductible.

13. Reading. LOVE to read - I just wish I had time to read the books I want to read, not the things I have to read. With that being said, I make time to read and sometimes reread. I've also discovered fan fiction - VERY INTERESTING.

14. A well made leather boot with a sexy heel - which I can't wear right now, BUT SOON.

15. Manatees. Manatees are amazing and incredibly underrated. Dophins get more screen time because of their antics, orcas make the news because they show off their smarts AND bitchiness - they toss seals around like a football before they go in for the kill. GOOGLE IT. Sharks, don't even get me started. Three words: JAWS and SHARK WEEK. Whales...whales are all sorts of majestical - they deserve the spotlight... for the most part. If you love manatees - you know how smart and loving and wise they are  -  much more so than they let on... at least at first glance. If you don't know about manatees, take the time to find out abou them.

16. My nieces & nephews. I LOVE THEM. I'M GRATEFUL FOR THEM. MY WORLD IS A MUCH BETTER PLACE BECAUSE OF THEM.

17 The DOC. I love you, I am so incredibly grateful to have you in my life. You've changed my world.

18. Insulin: Without insulin I'd be dead. Actually, without insulin l wouldn't have existed because my father would have died before he had a chance to make me with my mom. With that being said, INSULIN IS STILL TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE. TOO MANY ARE GOING WITH OUT OR RATIONING TO MAKE THEIR STASH LAST LONGER. THAT SHIT'S GOTTA CHANGE.

19. The beach in the winter = MAGICAL.

20. Friends who are family - You know who you are - I love you. I am grateful for you.

21. My dishwasher.

22. Jewelry. Yep, I love jewelry. Real, fake, custom, vintage, or made from macaroni, like the necklace my nephew made me when he was in nursery school. I LOVE JEWELRY.

23. Daffodils: Daffodils are bright, beautiful, give me hope, make me happy, and remind me of my mom. Daffodils are resiliant. I try to embrace my inner daffodil whenever I can. And between you and me, I need to remember to embrace my inner daffodil more.

24. Dark chocolate.

25. Vanilla. FTR, vanilla is not boring - I love it more than chocolate. There I said it - I stand by more words.

26. Vodka: Potatoes and grains are the fruit of my people. Vodka is potatoes and or grain in liquid form.

27. Going to the movies. 

28. Broadway Musicals: I LOVE BROADWAY AND BROADWAY MUSICALS. I LOVE SHOWTUNES. And it sucks to be you if you don't.

29. Really good sex.

30. Frida Kahlo: Her art is addictive, her story is compelling, inspiring and it will break your heart.

31. Spicy food. Spicy food is my favorite. 
About half the dishes I make from scratch are spicy - it’s part of who I a. If anyone wants to buy me a Diaversary gift - I'm running out of Siriracha thanks to the 2023 Sriracha Shortage, more on said shortage can be found, HERE.

32. Spending time with friends and family. We all need more time with those we love and who love us.

33. Sleeping late. FTR, I was off today and wanted to sleep until 8AM. I was up at 5:30. W.T.F.

34. Hoka Bondi's. Like walking on clouds. The Bondis are especially good if you happen to have high arches and a wide toe box. They also fit most custom orthotics. I'm going to need multiple pairs once I'm done with the crutches. CC: HOKA.com.

35. Fresh mint in my water - or my mojito/vodka. Little things mean a lot. Fresh mint is refreshing and delish. I suggest you grow some in a pot. DO NOT plant mint in the ground - it will takeover your entire garden and strangle any and all plants and shrubs.

36. Black Violin - also Black Violin.

37. Post Modern Jukebox.

38. I love long walks.... which I currently cannot participate in - BUT SOON!

39. Halloween: I love dressing up and being someone/something else for the night. I'm a theater geek so it totally makes sense.

40. The colors green and blue and in all shades. The colors of earth and water. Also, both color spectrums bring out my eyes and since this is all about me.....

41. #Proudauntiealert in all dimensions: In no particular order, just a sprinkling of many, many, moments #proudauntiealerts can be found HEREHERE & HERE

42. Bolus worthy pizza. If you know, you know.

43. Childrenwithdiabetes.org

44. Peanut Butter. I wish I hated peanut butter, but I don't. That will never happen.

45. Massages. God I love a good massage - and I've been told by HCPs that I need them. If only insurance covered them. SIGH.

46. YOU. I'M GRATEFUL FOR YOU.

I'm grateful that you're here on this planet and reading my blog. Take my word that the world is much better place with you in it. YOU ARE EXCEPTIONAL. 

1 comment:

Rick Phillips said...

well i am OK then because I love Broadway shows and show tunes. Someday I will get back to NYC, because that is the only proper place to see a Broadway show.