Thursday, May 12, 2011

4th Day Of Diabetes Blog Week: 10 Things I Hate About Diabetes

5/13/2011 NEWS FLASH: In the past 24 hours BLOGGER ate this post, then spit it back out again about an hour ago, sans the 13 comments that were left by diabetesalicious readers.

If your comment is missing, it's bloggers fault and I'm TRULY SORRY. I'm incredibly annoyed and am working on switching to another host in the very near future!!

The 4th assignment for Diabetes Blog Week is all about the 10 things that we absolutely hate about diabetes.

Only 10? OK, I can kinda do that.

Normally, I don't ever say the word "hate" re: my diabetes.

I say "Dislike intensely," or say something along the lines of: This particular diabetesism annoys the shit out of me!


WHY?


Because Diabetes is a part of me, and I don't want to hate myself.

But for D Blog Week, I will go with the flow and be a team player.

Here's my list & I hope you can relate!

#####


10. High blood sugars that absolutely make me feel like I'm walking in a world filled with J-E-L-L-O instead of oxygen.

It's hard to think, hard to move, and hard to focus when your blood sugar is in the stratosphere!


9. Those diabetes moments where I do everything right, and diabetes still f*cks with me.


8. People saying: You don't look like you have diabetes.

NEWS FLASH: THIS is what diabetes looks like.


7. Middle of the night lows that leave me drenched in sweat, shaking in my sheets (and not in the good way,) and downing juice like a person downing water after a 3 day walk in the desert, because I'm afraid I'm going to pass out if I don't get those carbs in my system.


6. Doing the Diabetes Math every time I put something in my mouth.


5. Insurance companies who dictate how many test strips a person is allowed to use per day.

NEWS FLASH: Diabetes is not a one size fits all disease, nor is it the same disease two days in a row.

Some day require more testing, PERIOD.


And speaking of insurance companies - SCREW your pre-existing conditions clause.

Being an asshole is absolutely a pre-existing condition but being an asshole doesn't get you penalized regarding a pre-existing health insurance clause.

Look, you can't tell me that being an asshole isn't a pre-existing condition, because I know for a fact that it is.


4. Speaking of test strips, I HATE that meters (our Diabetes GPS System) are allowed to have a 10% to 20% margin of error.

EXAMPLE: Last night before bed, my blood sugar was 230, which was much higher than my normal bedtime number.

SO I decided that I needed to test again, and my blood sugar was 190.

That's a 40 point difference and a unit plus some change worth of insulin difference.

I ended up averaging the two numbers and came up with a correction bolus for a blood sugar of 210. Cut to this morning and a blood sugar of 122.

had I done the correction bolus for 230 last night, there's a good chance I would have had a low around 4 a.m.


10% to 20% margin of error is totally unacceptable!


4. The Diabetes Police lurking around every corner.

Seriously, the Diabetes Police ARE EVERYWHERE & I'm seriously considering handing out cards that read:


YES, I can eat that.

NO, my parents didn’t pour sugar down my throat as a child and “give” me diabetes.

Don't tell me to give up all things white and I'l be off the demon insulin forever.

Unlike Miss Hallie Berry, I can't ween myself off insulin through diet and exercise & leave my type 1 diabetes behind and become type 2.

Have a nice day & leave me alone!


3. Diabetes Media Muck-ups.

Seriously, how hard is it to do research on a disease that millions and millions and millions of people have, and STILL get the facts wrong???

Newscasters, reporters, etc. If your going to write about my disease, get the facts right!


STOP SPREADING DIABETES MYTHS & START PERPETUATING DIABETES REALITIES.


2. New people getting diagnosed with diabetes.

It breaks my heart to hear of another person getting diagnosed with diabetes. I can deal with mine, I've accepted that part of myself - But I hate when someone else gets diagnosed.


1. Losing family members and friends to diabetes.

It's the worst feeling in the world and you don't get over it, you just get on with it.

But you never see things quite the same way again.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes on each and every one, Kelly. Thanks for this list. Now, on to conquering what we can - like those media muck-ups you rock the scene on when they materialize.

George said...

With every one I was like, "that's right! Uh huh! PREACH!"

You rock k2!

#LYLB

GingerVieira said...

Love your list, Kelly. I really hate when people try to tell me how to manage my diabetes and what to eat. HATE IT! My best friend demonstrates her best-friendedness all the time by NEVER doing things like that.

And #2 and #1 --- whenever someone tells me they were just diagnosed I feel awful because even though I know I'm sitting here and I'm fine and I'm living life, I know how hard it is in the beginning and every day since then to take on such an immense disease.

Thanks for a great post.

Kris said...

I agree with everything here (although I personally don't know what it feels like to be high or low. But I do know how it affects my daughter) Great list!

Anonymous said...

"Being an asshole is a pre-existing condition." This so so funny; I will have to had it to the catch phrases that I use.

Pearlsa said...

“20% margin of error is totally unacceptable!” That really sucks. I
Hate you, diabetes

my sweet girl said...

#5 hands down- is my favorite
#1 breaks my heart

Courtney said...

Totally agree - meters with 20% margins are (should be) unacceptable!

Liz said...

I was saying "Amen" to all your numbers!!!!

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

I've been thinking about you all day as I try as much as possible not to use the word "hate" - though I try not to use that word for anything.

Love the pre-existing condition comment.

And I too always tear up when I hear about someone being diagnosed.

Heidi / D-Tales said...

#3 really hit home with me. In my "previous life," I was a writer and editor, working with newspapers and magazines. I know what it takes to produce a good story. I know that most editors/tv producers push their writers/reporters to do their research and get the facts straight. So it drives me cRaZy when I see/read misinformation about diabetes. "STOP SPREADING DIABETES MYTHS & START PERPETUATING DIABETES REALITIES." Amen!

Lydia said...

I haven't had type 1 for long. But I think the number one thing I hate about it thus far is that it's stopped my menstruation (And I'm definitely not pregnant).. And I am afraid as to why.

Lee Ann Thill said...

Ahh, yes, the media muck-ups. that's a good one that I didn't include on my list. Based on how hard it is to get the diabetes facts correct, you'd think it was really hard to find information *roll eyes*

Great list, Kelly!