Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dear Mom: Happy Mother's Day

CHEERS MOM!
Dear Mom - 
Happy Mother's Day.
This year is different from all the Mother's Days of the past. 
 We're not sitting across from one another sharing brunch or having Pinot Griglio and laughs over dinner.
 And I miss you something awful. 
Mom, there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about you and if truth be told, there hasn't been a day since you've gone that I haven't she a tear.
I know that I was lucky to have had you in my life for so long 
and I find comfort that the best parts of me are the best parts of you. 
And I know through the little signs that you leave for me that you are still with me in spirit. 
Like yesterday, when I took a walk to get some much needed exercise and to clear my head, and I spent a lot of time thinking about you and how much I missed you. 
And I was thinking about the amazing garden of purple irises, lilies, daffodils and roses you created and how every time I saw any of those flowers I was reminded of you. 
And as that very thought was going through my head I turned and looked in a store window and saw a giant painting of a purple Iris - Which was one of your absolute favorite flowers. 
You'd planted at least a 100 in your garden and now with the house sold and torn down, they're all gone. 
I'd been thinking about your irises for weeks and all of sudden, there was a giant painting of one just when I was missing you most. 
And at that moment, I knew you were with me. 
One day I stopped over a friend's house to drop something off, but she wasn't home.
And as I stood on the porch talking with her husband, he suddenly stopped mid sentence and said: Oh my God Kel, when you said that, you look just like your mom  - It's scary. 
I never realized how much the two of you looked alike until now.
And those words made me feel happy and good and they made me smile. 
On the days where I find myself tired and need an added push to get something done, 
I ask you for some help so that I can plough through the muck because I want to make us both proud. 
And then 9 times out of 10 I do. 
So thanks for that. 

And when Cristin was nominated for a Tony Award a few weeks back, 
I found tremendous comfort in the fact that the night of the Tony Awards is June 10th, which happens to be your birthday. 
And I knew in my heart and in my head that it was no coincidence at all. 
It was your way of showing me that not only did you know Cristin was nominated, but that you've been keeping an eye on what's going on from your seat in the sky - And that, like you is a beautiful and wonderful thing.
So happy Mother's Day Mom - I love you, 
Kelly~
#6

One of Marjory's Irises
circa 2010

10 comments:

Kelly said...

((HUGS)) I know this first Mothers Day without your Mom must be very difficult for you, beautiful post..she IS with you.

Rachel said...

**hugs**

So fitting that the awards are on her birthday :)

sarah/@smartDpants said...

love, love, love to you k2.

shannon said...

beautiful post. i know from experience how difficult the first mother's days after losing your mom is. you've honored her here. thanks for sharing.

Pearlsa said...

Beautiful post. (((HUGS)))

Meri said...

What a lovely post and truibute to your beautiful mother. Love you Dear Kelly!

Ilana Lucas said...

Such a lovely post. Was thinking about you today. Love and hugs.

-Ilana

Anonymous said...

Reading this gave me goosebumps. What a gorgeous rememberance of your mother and reflection on the cycle of life. I'm so glad she's still there for you, even though I wish she could still be physically here with you.

Caroline said...

Reading this gave me goosebumps. What a gorgeous rememberance of your mother and reflection on the cycle of life. I'm so glad she's still there for you, even though I wish she could still be physically here with you.

Sara said...

I love that picture of your mom! You can just see the brightness behind her smile so much in that picture!