The 10 Things Meme. You guys know a lot about me, and vice a versa. So I thought maybe I'd share some things that you might not know. Some are diabetes related, some are not, but all are true~
1. I’ve never eaten Kentucky Fried Chicken in my life – EVER. And yours truly has no plans to start now.
I’m totally serious. My dad had a heart attack when I was five, so I grew up eating lots of chicken sans the skin. As a kid, the thought of KFC grossed me out. I never even ate chicken with the skin on it until I was 21. I still don’t like chicken skin, unless I’m eating really spicy chicken wings!
2. Every time someone on TV or in the movies gets a needle, I turn away. I just get so sad seeing someone else getting a shot. And yes, as a type 1 pwd for 30 + years, I realize the irony.
3. I’m one of the few people in the world who has actually watched the movie JAWS on a full size movie screen while sitting on the beach at night. Yep, true story! Two summers ago, the city of Ventnor, in South Jersey would host a weekly Movie On The Beach night, with a full screen and MC. People brought their families; dates, beach chairs, towels, food, and libations every Saturday night in the months of July and August to watch movies under the stars. Somewhere between 100/200 folks gathered weekly. The first Movie Night I happened to attend was JAWS.
YES, it was strange (OK it was freaky) hearing the ocean waves at your back (and hearing the the infamous theme music) and feeling the sand on your feet, all while watching JAWS on a 15-foot screen directly in front of you. But it was fun!
4. Even though I have "organizational iss-ues", my diabetes supplies are VERY organized. And like by VERY, I mean INCREDIBLY organized!
First by type of supplies: Test strips and lancets in the same desk drawer, with the boxes arranged in order of expiration date on the top of the box. Pump supplies all on the same shelf, insulin is nicely housed in my Butter Compartment and each bottle is also arranged according to expiration date - Same goes for my Symlin, My pills are all neatly organized and I’m actually getting better at consuming my daily vitamins!
5. I am physically unable to drink my coffee black.
6. I not only sing out loud, but I also cry out loud, every time I watch the Sound of Music.
7. I introduced my niece to the wonders of ABBA when she was 10 and her father still hasn’t completely forgiven me.
8. I prefer Soymilk to cow’s milk, but prefer ½ and ½ to soy creamer.
9. I get uber excited and have been know to do the Happy Dance when I guesstimate carbs and still achieve Blood Sugar Nirvana. Same goes for seeing a “happy” number on my meter.
10. I like (and quote) all movies, I'm a movie buff! But I love (and love to quote) movies whose target market is for middle, high school, and college age boys. “ I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly....” Can anyone guess that quote?
OK, it's your turn. Tell us something that we may not know about you!