Thursday, July 21, 2016

Of Higher Blood Sugars, Increased Temporary Basal Rates, And Having Patience.

After a week straight of varying degrees of increased temporary basal rates, (between 138% and 150%,) followed by the past four days of high morning blood sugars followed by damn near perfect blood sugars in the afternoon and evening that boarded on the low side  and sans temp basals - diabetes had me feeling tired. 
I knew the crazy glucoaster ride was temporary - remnants of a double ear infection that’s taking it’s own sweet time leaving my unusually narrow ear canals. 

Things would be back to normal soon and I knew that, but I was all sorts of exhausted after dinner.  
And what I wanted to do was chill out on the couch and digest my dinner. 

Instead, I made myself go out and take a walk on the beach. 
I didn’t walk for the exercise - I walked for my head - and because the air temperature had dropped, the ocean was warm and it felt good to be outside. 
30 minutes into my walk, I ended up running into friends and I staying out until it was dark  - and when I finally walked in the door, my blood sugar was 150. 
I set a temp basal rate of 123% ( the lowest increased temp basal rate in a week,) and 
went to bed at 10:45 with a 128 blood sugar and no correction. 
When I woke up today and for the first morning in days, my blood sugar in the low 100s. 109 to be exact. 
And so far, things have been holding stready for the rest of the day. 


Patience is a virtue and I am stronger (and bitchier,) than diabetes~  

1 comment:

Rick Phillips said...

Tell me about it Kelly. It seems like you and I are having identical blood sugar nights and early mornings.


I referred your blog to the TUDiabetes.org blog page for the week of July 18, 2016.