Monday, December 3, 2007

Stupid People Tricks OR How the Hell does a Block Head like you function on a day to day basis?

So I got annoyed this weekend...really annoyed, and yes, it had to do with someones stupidity when it comes to diabetes. I was at a baby shower for a friend of mine whose about to give birth in a few months. I'm doing the whole small talk and make nice-nice during the luncheon part, when the space cadet sitting across from me sees me fiddling with my insulin pump.
"What's that?" she asked all wide eyed from nursing her glass of White Zin. I responded that it was my trusty insulin pump, and tried to get back to my tasty Chicken Cesar, with dressing on the side. "Woooooow, you must have diabetes pretty bad to be taking insulin! I'm like borderline and take pills. But I'm going on a diet after Christmas. You don't look like your a diabetic.....Know what? My dog just got diagnosed with diabetes. She's in the hospital and I'm sooooo sad."

OK, now I'm all sorts of mad for several different reasons, but I have to stay calm so I don't upset the whole baby shower apple cart. Let's face it, this is my friends big day, not mine.

Well, I answered, "I'm a type 1 and I don't make insulin - haven't since the age of 8, so yeah, injections or the pump are my only choices. Type 1 & Type 2 are two different diseases. If your "borderline" & your dog's just been diagnosed, (please take note of the quotes) u might want to really educate yourself about both type 1 and type 2. Oh, and Pasta salad may not be the best choice for you."
What I wanted to say is get a $u*&ing clue and learn about what you've been diagnosed with. Here's a thought; read a book or two on the subject, go see a nutritionist and or Diabetes Educator and stop your idiotic babbling.

No comments: