Thursday, November 10, 2011

Note To Diabetes Companies: If You're Going To Hire Outside PR Firms, Make Sure They Know The Diabetes Facts

So OK, right now I'm dealing work deadlines and trying to get my "World Diabetes Day Postcard Exchange," Art inspiration on. I kind of have a problem coloring within the lines - But I'm doing it! Photographic evidence to follow shortly.

In all the craziness of the last few weeks (OK, months) I've noticed a thing about my email's inbox. IT'S BOMBARDED WITH DIABETES PRESS RELEASES.

And look, I'm totally happy that companies are taking an interest and spreading the world about November being National Diabetes Awareness Month, I really am. And I'm more than willing to do my part and spread their words if those words/products help my people - not just pad their pockets.

But here's the thing: Some reputable diabetes companies have hired outside PR firms who unfortunately, don't know jack about diabetes.

So here's a little Diabetes PR Pitch Primer
1. Type 1 isn't preventable - so don't send me a PR Release about "Preventing Diabetes."
And just so you're aware, many people with type 2 have a genetic predisposition to type2 diabetes, not a genetic predisposition to overeating. And you pitching and promoting the whole "put the blame on the person with diabetes" is so 1993 - And it's GOT TO STOP.
Seriously, know your subject matter & intended audience & really think about the words your typing in the PR Pitch - And who will be reading said pitch.
2. For the life of me I have no idea what "Chronic Diabetes" is, and most Endo's I know NEVER , EVER use that term. Quite frankly, most people with diabetes that I know, find the term not ONLY antiquated, but incredibly offensive as well. STOP USING IT - NOW.
3. If you send me something about getting rid of my diabetes via lap-band surgery, or curing diabetes through your clients diet book, there's a good chance your email address will be blocked and noted as spam.

4. Lastly, if you are a reputable diabetes company who is spending their money to hire an outside PR Firm - I implore you to please make sure that said PR Firm knows the facts about the disease they are pitching, instead of using wording that perpetuates diabetes myths & stereotypes!

Hell, hire me to proof read these firms diabetes PR pitches for any offensive lingo and inaccuracies if you want, but you need to FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Your money would be much better spent on so many other incredibly important things, including funding the research for a diabetes cure!

9 comments:

Tonya said...

Amen. Thank you.

Cara said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has felt like I've been getting a ton of press releases. Some of them are annoying. Some are hilarious. Some make me angry. Very few are actually legitimate. Sigh.

Mike Hoskins said...

Applause.

babscampbell said...

I tip my hat to you Oh, Queen Diazon! Once again, you've stated what many of us have been thinking.

Anonymous said...

Some of them are really quite ridiculous. Chronic diabetes? Damn, wish I'd lucked out and gotten the acute kind, it might've passed through my system in a week or two!

On a more serious note, while it is Diabetes Awareness Month, it's incredibly frustrating when a companies "interest" is merely a thinly veiled attempt at trying to make themselves look better, or more caring/in touch. Spare me. Granted, I don't expect businesses to really care outside of making themselves look good, but at least cover your tracks and make sure the info you put out is halfway decent.

LaLa said...

Cheering!! I have been bombarded too. It's too much. I'm just going to respond to them all with a link to this post. :)

Steph said...

Adjective:

1. (of an illness) Persisting for a long time or constantly recurring.

chronic implies that it goes away for a while. Mine doesn't...does yours? Maybe whoever wrote that has some special kind of disappearing diabetes. :p

Scott S said...

Well said. I think you should hire a PR firm to communicate this to PR firms! OK, maybe not, but the point is worth sharing. I'd love to see this get some real press ... anyone in D.A. that can network our way into getting this distributed to major media outlets?!

Kim said...

Great minds! ;)