Friday, January 3, 2014

Of Prize Winners, Super Delicious Healthy Soup, The Best of Intentions & Being In This Together~

Winner of the D Inspired Bling from the DMamaOwl D Boutique is Emily.
Winner of the Extend Nutrition Gift Pack is Stephanie Storm.
Congrats ladies and please email me at KellyKunik(At)gmail(dot)com!!
#######
New Year's Day 2014 started off simply enough. I made a huge pot of my healthy faux cream ( I don't use cream,) of broccoli soup. 

 6 cups of broccoli, 

1 medium onion, 

3 celery stalks,
3 cups of veggie stock

2 cups of skim milk, You can substitute a can of rinse small white beans instead of skim milk and add extra water or veggie stock to the mix das needed.) 

5 (they were on the small side) cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons of parm cheese 

3 little new potatoes, diced 

Sea salt & Sriracha to taste.

Saute the garlic, onions & celery in olive oil and sea salt for 4 minutes, add the broccoli, potatoes, veggie broth and milk, simmer on low for 20 minutes, partially covered. Then blend the ingredients with an emulsifier, add copious amounts of sriracha and 5 heaping tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and gently simmer on the lowest of low for another 20 minutes before serving.
13 grams of carbs, 3.1 grams of fiber and a whole lot of deliciousness and a great way to start of the new year.  

Last night I had the soup again - And even posted (OK, bragged) about my culinary adventures on the Facebook - Complete with what some considered a semi phallic picture of the soup (minds out of the gutter folks, sometimes broccoli is just broccoli), because: 
1. everyone knows that soup always tastes better the day after you make it - And even better the day after that
2. It's superdelicious and it's soup weather for sure
3. It's a healthy hearty soup - And I need more healthy and hearty in my life~
Photo: Picture flipped, crisis averted, soup still delicious.
Soup picture flipped , phallic crisis from dirty minded friends averted.
And things were going grand.... until I followed my super delicious healthy soup with Christmas cookies and milk - Like  more Christmas cookies than I'd had all week. 

Of course I fessed up with the following Facebook Status: The healthy soup was immediately followed by Christmas cookies & milk. 
Tomorrow is another day.

And that's when something down right cool happened. Turns out, I wasn't the only one who started out the day with healthy & delicious New Year's good intentions.
Almost 50 likes in total and a boatload of comments from others who started out with healthy New Year's meal intentions but  got side tracked thanks to Christmas cookies... Ben & Jerry's....Jagelkies chocolate covered pretzels, Chex Mix and the likes there of~
Displaying photo.JPG
Seeing these comments not only made me feel great - They made me smile and feel good~
Displaying photo.JPG

And the wonderful Kate Cornell summed it up best when she left the following comment:  I feel SO much better after reading these comments. This why the DOC is invaluable. #NotFeelingAloneShe nailed it. 
And then I didn't feel as terrible about the Christmas cookies - I bolused for them, tomorrow (today) is a new day and I still managed to get a boatload of veggie servings in super delicious healthy soup. 

Today I packed a healthy lunch for work  - And yes, it might be a snow day for most, but the office I'm contracted at is open. 
And when I get home, I will most likely shovel more snow out of my driveway (#sweatbetes) and then dine on another serving of my super delicious healthy soup for dinner - And most likely a Trader Joe's Ginger Bread Cookie or two...... But that's OK. 
A few cookies or not, I'm making the conscious effort to eat more healthy meals - As are so many others in our magnificent D tribe. 

We are in this together - For the good, the bad and the diabetesalicious of it all - And thank God for that!! 

1 comment:

Laddie said...

So why is it "faux" broccoli soup since it actually has broccoli? Now "faux" is that Ritz Crackers apple pie that has no apples in it....