I have an affinity for wearing my insulin pump infusion sets on my abdomen and for several reasons. Infusion sites on my belly are easy to access, easy to see, easy to change out - Just easy in all dimensions - At least for me.
Except of course for scar tissue and the development of deadspots on my belly - As in areas on my abdomen that no longer syphon insulin properly.
I don't like deadspots, who does?
So with the being said, I've decided to get a "leg up" re: insulin pump infusion set sites and I've committed to alternate sites for the month of April.
This rotation started on Saturday March 29th, on my right thigh. Now, I've used leg sites before - it's not a new location for me, but it is a tried and true location. I'm still using my right thigh, but will rotate to the left midweek.
I'm considering trying out other locations, but I have some questions -And I figured if I had questions, so did other people. I/we could REALLY, REALLY use your advice regarding the following:
1. Leg Sites:
Do you place infusion sites on the backs of your thighs? Also, do you find yourself changing out the sites more on your legs than on your belly?
I do, always have. I change my leg sites every 24 to 30 hours, mostly because of the workout that area gets re:clothing - As in pulling pants on and off, up and down, bathroom breaks and tubing getting caught in underwear.
2. Arms: Who out there puts insulin infusion sites on your arms and how does the whole subcutaneous syphoning of insulin work for you in that location?
How long do arm sites usually last and what issues do I need to be aware of with arm sites? Like what happens when I take my shirt off? Will my tubing get all tangled?
3. Boob: Since I'm being all honest, I'm not really interested in trying that particular area of my anatomy - I'm scared - Like REALLY scared - But let's just say I might be considering it.
Any thoughts or advice re: infusion boob sites out there?
Sidebar: C over at "C's Life With D" wrote a great post on this very subject! Click HERE . READ IT.
4. Calf: Someone posted an infusion site on their daughter's calf recently ( And for the life of me, I can't remember who,) and I was like: WOW, I never thought to try that! Has anyone out there used their calf for an infusion site and if so, how'd it go?
5. Butt: Believe it or not - I've never tried putting an infusion site in my gluteus maximus
in all my years of pumping for several reasons. My rotator cuff issues and the fact that my culo lacks cushioning.
Any and all advice re: arse infusion sites would be greatly appreciated!
6. OTHERS: Are there any other infusion site areas I haven't listed? If that's the case, where are they and how do they work for you?
Change can be hard in life - And life with diabetes, so thanks in advance for any help in this area - Or should I say areas? Either or, I really appreciate your input, advice and help on this this subject!