Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Life With Diabetes Means Never Packing Light :)

Life with diabetes means never packing light - even when it’s a 24-hour trip. 
And that’s OK - I’ve made my peace with being high maintenance in all dimensions. 

I love and am grateful for my family/family time; any and all opportunities to travel, and having extra diabetes supplies… just incase. I am blessed and I know it! 
#####
Last night I made a list of what I need to pack for my 24-hour trip to my sister’s for Thanksgiving and some much needed family time. 
24-hours away from my house - I leave tomorrow and comeback Friday afternoon. 
I’ll be wearing my Thanksgiving Day outfit (including my most comfy dress jeans,) and my medical ID bracelet on my drive to the festivities. 

My overnight bag will include: 
  1. Toiletries, because this chick needs help to look this good
  2. Pajamas 
  3. An extra sweater
  4. Underwear
  5. Socks
  6. Sheepskin slippers because my feet get cold and I need my slippies.
And then course there’s ALL the diabetes stuff. 
  1. Insulin (and even though I’ll be putting in a freshly filled pod tonight,) 
  2. 2 extra Omnipods and skin-tac
  3. 1 vial of glucose test strips - 50 in total 
  4. Back-up lancets because Murphy's Law, diabetes style says there's a good chance you will misplace your one and only if you don't pack extra
  5. 1 Needle that may or may not be required for ginormous injection correction(s) that may or may not happen
  6. Juice boxes - just in case I have a middle of the night low and because I want to avoid stumbling around, waking up the house, and setting off the doggo alarms at all costs
  7. Glucose tabs - see juice box explanation. 

And just as important, the 3 bottles of Red and 1 bottle of Prosecco that represent my contribution to our Thanksgiving meal. 

Whatever your plans are for the 4 day weekend - I hope it's filled with laughter, love, blessings, yummy food and good times! 

Happy Turkey Day, turkeys! 


2 comments:

Rick Phillips said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Kelly !!! I hope you and your family has a great celebration.

Unknown said...

Kelly, thanks for sharing and I trust you had a great time with family.